Working on a Dream


Leadership

Theology

Life


Thursday, September 16, 2010

Obedience and Love: Part II

Yesterday I wrote about obedience flowing from a loving heart.  "If you love Me, you will obey My commandments"  said Jesus. 

Today I want you to think about the order of these two qualities.  Love has got to be first in the heart of a person or it will lead to something ugly.  Legalism.  Legalism is what happens when we forget Love and only remember Obedience.  Many folks today and in Jesus' time elevate external behavior to show off their "spirituality."  For example, there were these religious teachers called the Pharisees in Jesus' day that knew the entire Law by memory (that is most of the OT).  They would follow the letter of the Law impeccabley and everybody knew it. 


But something was wrong with these Pharisees.  Although they knew the Law they did not know the Lawgiver.  Yesterday I wrote about how my parents tried to get me to listen to them by offering rewards or punishments.  Often, I would obey only to avoid something or to receive something.  Over time, I matured and just do what my parents want because I love them.  This is the way it should be with God.  A heart that loves leads to a life of obedience to His will.  I always tell people that whatever is in a person's heart finds its way to their hands and feet.  In other words, you will live out your priorities. 


With that in mind, think about your life and your faith. 

Are you merely obeying God because you want something from Him?  Do you conform to externals trying to convince the world of your "spirituality?" 


"But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.”

No comments: