Working on a Dream


Leadership

Theology

Life


Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Love & Obedience

Jesus said, "if you love Me you will keep my commandments."  Love and Obedience go hand in hand.  Think back to when you were little and your parents always told you to do something that you did not want to do.  They may have offered you incentives for you to happily go along with their plans or they could have offered you the wooden spoon, the belt, the flip-flop, or the yardstick --like my parents. 

The point is that you listened because of an outside force.  The pain of the belt made me so excited to clean my room.  The new game got me home right at 11 p.m.  One thing I know for sure is that my parents would have liked me to listen to them not for something I could get out of it but rather because I loved them.

This is the same way with following Jesus.  If you love Him you will keep His commandments.  Obedience is a natural outcome of love.  Now that I am older, I do the things mom and dad told me to do naturally and there are no strings attached (not counting the food). 

God is after our hearts.  Always has and always will. 

Thomas Watson said, "There are but few that love God: many give Him hypocritical kisses, but few love Him."

What about you? Do you just say you love God but never live in a way that pleases Him? 

No comments: