Working on a Dream


Leadership

Theology

Life


Monday, October 11, 2010

Destiny: The Road You Didn't Even Know Was There

It has been said that a person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it.  Life is like that.  Even now as I write this, I can think back to times in my life where something totally unplanned changed it. 

 Three examples come to mind: Bruce, Christen, Jesus.  Over the next week, I'll choose one and write about it. I hope you join me!
Destiny Number One,  BRUCE:

-In the 10th Grade of High School, many of my friends somehow ended up at the Mall in Boardman , Oh. during school hours.  On this fateful journey, I walked into a store that sold Cd's and quickly grabbed Bruce Springsteen's Greatest Hits album.  I thought he was the guy who sang, "Born to be Wild"  which me and my friends definitely were at the time...or at least I thought.  After a trip to the food court it was back to the school to brag to our obedient friends about our adventure.  On the way home, Bruce found his way into the Cd player.  My first thoughts were:  "Um, this song Born to Run in no way reflects Born to be Wild" 
I hit the eject button. 
Put the Cd into the case and put it on the floor. 

Over time, that Cd found its way back into the Cd player and caused something inside of me to start my Bruce-a-holic journey.  Soon afterward, I found myself going to Wal-Mart to buy all of Bruce's albums.

Two years latter, the Twelfth grade rolled around and I graduated high school with Bruce.

I then was on my way to Georgia with Bruce for college. Now if you have been to college, this was a major make or break time for me and Bruce.  As a freshman, you want to fit in.  And listening to a guy in his 50's usually is the way NOT to accomplish this.  Anyway, I started my freshman year with Bruce and four years latter and many converts latter, I graduated with Bruce.

The next part of the journey only re-enforced my Bruce-like vigor.  First job out of college and a Boss from the Abyss...Bruce was really was hitting home with me.  Then came Christen, and my job to convince her that all other musicians where phonies and to only pledge allegiance to Bruce.  (which she does now,  but only cause she loves me)

Many concerts latter, road trips, broken Cd's, and tapes from garage sales that my mom just will never stop buying me (even if they are Rick SPRINGfield!) ... there just is not anyone out there like Bruce. 

Destiny struck me that day when I was in the 10th grade like a high jacker in downtown New Castle. 

Tomorrow: Destiny Tracker number two, Christen 


No comments: