Working on a Dream


Leadership

Theology

Life


Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sharpening the Blade


Suppose you came upon someone in the woods working to saw down a tree. They are exhausted from working for hours. You suggest they take a break to sharpen the saw. They might reply,
" I didn't have time to sharpen the saw, I'm busy sawing!"

 According to author Stephen Covey, taking time for yourself is very important.  I know that in my life, as a pastor, I spend a lot of time helping meet the needs of others and because of this, it is easy to forget about myself.  I have found that taking time for rest, many times leads to more productive work and healthier relationships.
Here is an illustration that I use often to illustrate the above.  It is affectionately called the, "The Sponge Theory." 

Let's pretend you take a dry sponge and immerse it into a bucket of water.  In a few seconds, that sponge has soaked up all the water it is ever going to need.  What you have to do with that sponge is ring it out in order for it to soak up more water. 

The point is that if you do not take time to get back in the water, then you are most likely sawing with a dull blade. 


Call it want you want:  Rest, Rejuvenation, Relaxation, Refueling, or Revamping (if you have another word that starts with an "R" please let me know, I'd like to add it).

The great thing about this idea is that it is not only practical and helpful, it is Biblical.  Have you ever noticed how on several occasions in the Gospel's Jesus retreated away from the crowds?  Check it out for yourself.  You'll notice Him seeking solitude to spend time alone; in prayer on more than one occasion.  And if Jesus needed this...then my best guess would be that you and I do too.

Finding time this holiday to connect with God may just be the element that gets your batteries Recharged!



No comments: