Working on a Dream


Leadership

Theology

Life


Monday, December 6, 2010

Dirty Windshields and Filthy Hearts


Driving in the snow is its own project.  How early do I leave for work today?  Should I start braking 30 feet before that stop sign?  Why did I have to get behind this truck that does nothing but spit dirty slush all over my windshield?  I think that one just might be the worst. 

Have you noticed how many times you have to clean your window when it is snowing?  I always buy a ton of windshield washing fluid to keep in the shed for this time of the year, and I generally put one in the trunk of my car just in case.

I learned that trick by driving one to many times with little or no fluid in my car to and from Pittsburgh. The idea of playing "guess if there is a car to your left" on RT. 79 got old and fast... 

Good thing for windshield washing fluid, for without it, your view would be impaired while doing something pretty important like driving. 

The Bible talks about something similar that has happened to people's hearts.  "The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick."  Who can understand it? I, The Lord search the heart, I test the mind..."  (Jeremiah 17:9-10).  This verse refers to the condition of mankind's heart.  We cannot see clearly.  And the reason we cannot, is because of a little three letter word called sin.  Like driving on Rt. 79 with a muddy windshield that impares our view, our hearts have been tainted and in turn, make our judgements faulty. 

If you go back and look at that verse again, you will see that the "Lord" will be the one who "searches" your heart.  He will be the One who "tests" your mind.  This is both exciting and scary.  Exciting because He is the only One that can judge you and I properly & scary because He is the only One who can judge you and I properly. 

Making Your Heart Clean:
Just like you are thankful for that blue bottle of windshield washing fluid while you are driving in the snow, so will the heart of the person who believes in Christ for His spilled blood on the Cross. 

He is the One who takes away the dirt on our hearts and makes us clean. 


Amen.

"Come now, and let us reason together, Says the Lord
Though your sins are like scarlet
They will be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They will be like wool." 
-Isaiah 1:18

No comments: