Working on a Dream


Leadership

Theology

Life


Monday, June 28, 2010

Entitled vs. Entrusted

How do you view money? Specifically yours? Not to bring up a touchy issue, but... I think there is something to learn about the Biblical understanding of money. Richard Sterns observers that the American Dream often teaches, "I worked hard, I earned it, and it's mine to do with as I please." This suggests that we are "entitled" to any income that comes to us because we worked for it. The Bible teaches something different. Everything we have and own comes from God; He has simply entrusted it to us. The difference between entitlement and entrustment is huge. When I understand that everything I do is a gift from God -even working- I come to the realization that I am a dependant person. Your gifts and talents that got you to the position you are in right now,were given to you by God. Ultimately, everything we have is owed to God. Living this way will change your life. And most likely the people around you will notice. For example, my wife and I have a garden that is always filled with more plants and veggies than we know what to do with. This is not a problem. You see I did not plant the garden for just me and Christen. It was planted to bless anyone in need of fresh produce. So in this way, the purpose of the garden was a way of saying thanks to God for the abundance He has bestowed on my family. There are times in life, were you are blessed financially too. Maybe this is God providing you an opportunity to bless others?

No comments: