Working on a Dream


Leadership

Theology

Life


Monday, April 26, 2010

inFLUence

Just last night our youth group engaged in a simple, yet powerful discussion based on "peer pressure." Most of the time, people associate peer pressure with doing things that are bad (drugs, smoking, trying to fit in...) but some people like to influence others to do good. McManus bring up the fact that right in the middle of the word influence is the word flu. Think of how you act around someone who has the flu. I like to hit the avoid button and limit my interaction with those infected. Why? Because I know that I do not want what they have. The flu is just too easy to get. Influence is like that -a person can choose to influence those around them for the good or for the bad. As a Christ follower, I am called to influence those around me for Christ. Paul made a pretty bold claim when he said, "Imitate me as I imitate Christ" (1 Cor. 11:1). I am not sure what that does to you when you read that verse, but it really stops me in my tracks. Imagine being Paul. He was well known. He was always around people. He wrote that portion of Scripture to a church filled with people... yet he says to imitate him.
-It is as if he were saying
watch me and you will see Jesus living right through me- -In the good times
-In the bad times
-In the light
-In the dark
Follow me as I follow Christ...

No comments: