Working on a Dream


Leadership

Theology

Life


Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Your New Job Description: Passion


"Give me one hundred men who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I care not whether they be clergyman or laymen, they alone will shake the gates of Hell and set up the kingdom of Heaven upon the earth.
-John Wesley

I love Wesley's words... Honestly, I heard the quote years ago and it has stuck in my mind like a dagger.
It's one of my favorites.

It's raw.
It has that, I'll get the job done Without you ... Despite you... all I need is a group of like-minded passionate people on my side kind of feeling to it.

Have you noticed that having passionate people around you makes all the difference in the world?

Another famous example of gathering a team of like-minded passionate people can be found in Earnest Shackleton's job description for his daring expedition of the Antarctic.   

---Could you imagine reading this job description in your local newspaper?

I have noticed that many young people entering the work force are full of ambition, but their bosses generally are not looking for men and women with the type of ambition that both Wesley and Shackleton are calling for.  Most businesses steal the fire in your belly and provide steps on how you can become the average Cog.
Entailed in the above job description's is a calling so rare with many jobs today.
We are told from youth that, "the nail sticking out is the one that gets pounded in."  This advice is nothing more than a calling for the hum-drum; this is the stuff of boredom and yawns...
-Let me ask you a question:
-Have you ever left your house to listen to a boring band?  
-Do you ever go to the store to pick up the latest sleepy book? 
-I Doubt It.  

-I bet you picked the concert and the book(s) that stood out-  


Recently, I ran across a coffee mug with these words on its side.



-It was a breathe of fresh air for me.

I can only imagine that the person who owns that mug would be one of Wesley's 100 or that they would be sailing right next to Shackleton as he set out on his mission.

I'll bet you that working next to this person is never boring.
I'll bet you that this is a man or woman that sees their job less in terms of drudgery and more in terms of a calling.

-I wonder where you fit in this whole conversation?
-Are you content just watching life pass you by?
-Would you be one of the 100?

No comments: