Working on a Dream


Leadership

Theology

Life


Thursday, June 2, 2011

Stop Wasting your Time!


-Do you hate wasted time? 
-Do you want to free up more of your time for the things in life that you enjoy?

Let me introduce you to Parkinson's Law.
Coined in 1955 by British historian Cyril Northcote Parkinson the law states,

"Work expands to fill the time available for its completion"

Parkinson's Law points out that people usually take all the time allotted (and frequently more) to accomplish any task.

Let's go back to college for an illustration...
-Remember the days when you got your syllabus on the same day you thought you were the coolest kid on campus? 
--I had this happen a lot-- 
My plan was to get my work done waaaaaay ahead of time so I can continue my reign of coolness all over campus. 
What would follow is me in my dorm room working on a paper from the time I sat down to the due date. 

-If I would have known about Parkinson's Law in college, I could have done 1 1/2 of 3 things. 
1.  Schedule a personal due date before the actual due date in class.
2.  Instead of starting so early, I could have just waited for the professors due date to get the assignment done like most normal people did.
*3.  Stopped thinking I was cool and started acting normal. (this combined with 1 or 2 would have worked)


The reason my assignment took me so long was because, according to Parkinson's Law, the huge amount of time I gave myself to accomplish the task made the paper seem harder. 

The application is that when seeking to accomplish a task, give yourself a shorter deadline and you will help ensure greater quality of work with a higher focus. 

What about you? 

What chores do you put off because they seem so distant in the future? 

Apply Parkinson's Law to your life and watch you productivity go up!

No comments: