Working on a Dream


Leadership

Theology

Life


Saturday, December 17, 2011

How Glorious are You?

glo•ri•ous: Adjective: 1.Having, worthy of, or bringing fame or admiration: "glorious victory". 2. Having a striking beauty or splendor that evokes feelings of delighted admiration.


I wonder what things you would describe as glorious? The places you have visited. The once in a lifetime experiences you have enjoyed or the quiet moments spent with someone special ... Today while sitting down reading through my Bible, I ran across a place where the author uses the word glorious to describe a city.

  -Psalm 87:3
"Glorious things are spoken of thee, O city of God."



This got me wondering about that city.
---Specifically, what was it about that city that made it glorious?
Maybe the crime rate was really low?
Perhaps brotherly love was alive and well?
Who knows.

Intrigued, I decided to do a little homework on the word glorious so I decided to look it up in the Hebrew Bible. Here is what I found:

כבד

To be heavy, be weighty, be grievous, be hard, be rich, be honourable, be glorious, be burdensome, be honoured ...

You will notice that the word, "weighty" & "heavy" are in the meaning. Could it be that when you visited the city of God there was a certain overwhelming feeling of the Holy? I think so.

--I think so because in the city of God you will find the people of God.

                   Dwelling together.
                       Mirroring the values, morals & ethics that God requires.
                              Of course someone would describe this place as glorious.

Before I end. There is a very strong application that I feel needs brought to the surface. If you go back and reread the verse you will notice that the author states that, "glorious things are spoken of thee." This means that this city has a reputation higher than its skyline. As you know, a reputation is a credibility check rooted in the past. And this city has a stellar one. There certainly is a challenge in this little gem of a verse. God, and His people gathered togeher in His name should leave a glorious taste in ones mouth.



1 comment:

Ann Mullen said...

Angels we have heard on high, Sweetly singing o'er the plains, And the mountains in reply Echoing their joyous strains. Gloria, in excelsis Deo.

To glorify means to me to praise. A glorious city would be one worthy of praise.