Working on a Dream


Leadership

Theology

Life


Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Part 2: How to deliver a Rockem' Sockem' Speech


I trust that you picked up some helpful tips in my last post about delivering a great public speech; hopefully you had a chance to implement the suggested concepts and your speaking has improved.

Today, I'll share more Rockem' Sockem' pointers that will enable you to improve even more as you become a person of influence.

Rockem' Sockem' Tip #4 Framework & Transitions:
The old adage: tell the audience what you are going to tell them, tell them, and then tell them what you told them is a type of framework. A framework is basically a blueprint of how you want your speech to go.  When I delivered the "4 D's of a Dynamic Daddy" sermon, I used a simple approach: The framework was 4 moves where I emphasized each of the 4 points at a time. 
Point 1: A Dynamic Daddy lovingly Disciples his children.
Point 2: A Dynamic Daddy will give wise Direction to his children.
Point 3: A Dynamic Daddy sets the Destiny for his children.
Point 4: A Dynamic Daddy has to make a Decision to live out his calling.
After each point, in this case the "D", I would smoothly transition in to the next point.  There are two things to remember about transitions:
A) You need them.
B) You need to think about them before you are standing up in front of people speaking.
Your transitions will be the food you dangle in front of your starving audience's mouths.  It leaves them on their toes and will keep them interested.  In my case, the transitions I used went something like this: "A Dynamic Daddy that lovingly disciplines their children will by default set the destiny for them..." Simple.
I accomplished 2 things here. The first is I let everyone know that my initial point was finished, and secondly I informed the congregation of my next point that I would emphasizing.

Rockem' Sockem' Tip #5 End Powerfully:
As you come to the end of your speech, you should alert your audience that things are about to draw to a close. This will heighten your audience's attention again. You can use simple language like: "As we conclude" or "You are about to leave this place and enter the world, before you do, remember ... "  This is your time to inspire! Leave them with something that will force them to talk about your speech.  My goal is to have my sermon being discussed at the dinner table later that night. And I do not mean in the sense of, "What was that sermon all about anyway???" Also, it is during your conclusion that you will tack on your central theme / catchphrase.  By doing this, you will re-emphasize your main idea. 
NOTE:  Your conclusion is your conclusion.  There is nothing so irritating to your audience like when you conclude 57 times or when you feel the need to introduce new information at the very end.  Just close. Then find your seat. 

Rockem' Sockem' Tip #6 Bring things to Life:
This means illustrations.  Too often the speaker uses dry, boring illustrations like stats and graphs.  Please, please, please do not do this to your people.  If you have a statistic that you are using, use an illustration to bring that stat to life.  Chip and Dan Heath, in one of the best books that I read in the past few years, "Switch", teach a concept called the "Elephant & the Rider."  The basic premise is that each of us is built like a man riding an Elephant.  The Rider is rational.  He likes maps, flow charts, etc. The Elephant is emotional.  He is easily scared and really powerful.  When delivering a speech you must keep in the forefront of your mind that the people in your audience need to have their Rider directed and their Elephant motivated.   This means that you need to incorporate rationality and emotionality. 
People are both.  So your speech needs to include both.

Here is how I utilized this a few months back:
During my ordination, I did a lot of reflecting.  One of the things that I just could not shake was how many things I had started and ended over my life, but the one thing that remained constant was God's faithfulness.  I reflected about the times I tried teaching myself guitar, the times when I'd go fishing, the baseball / football  teams I signed up for -then quit. And then there was that stint when I thought I was golfer... The list continued to swell the longer that I reflected.  On the day of my ordination ceremony,  I wanted to communicate this truth to the congregation, so instead of talking about it, I arrived early with a box full of objects. Each object representing a thing in my life that I started, then eventually quit or became disinterested in.  I spoke about each object briefly, one at a time, going through them all in about 5 minutes.  Then, I walked into the heart of the church and said that there is One who remains faithful, more faithful than any brother or sister.  His name is Jesus and that is why I can stand here before you all today.
I then quoted Psalm 73:25-26:
"Whom have I in heaven but You?
And besides You, I desire nothing on earth.
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
I chose to communicate this way because I wanted to touch peoples minds AND hearts. I not only talked about the areas in my life that no longer remain, I put them on display.



This ends part 2 of our 3 part series on how to improve your speaking abilities. Please come visit www.dreamingnorth.blogspot.com for the powerful conclusion later in the week!

No comments: