Working on a Dream


Leadership

Theology

Life


Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Reaching my Destination: A lesson in Inspiration



Of course, I could not have done what I have done without inspiration
And providing night after night of musical determination was my troubadour of soul, the Tramp hailing from New Jersey; Bruce Springsteen.  He went with me all those years ago to college and his music still grabs ahold of me to this day. 

There were many nights that I wanted to not just throw in the towel but burn it.  Inspiration is a funny thing; it comes from seemingly nowhere and all of a sudden it takes hold of you and propels you further than you would have believed.  The first mile becomes the second mile, your no becomes a yes, and you find yourself further than you thought.  If you don't believe me, just listen to the Rocky Soundtrack the next time you are doing...ANYTHING

Listen, I know that I could have listed dozens of Springsteen songs here:
In Thunder Road he tells the young couple that, "It's a town full of losers and we're pullin' outta here to win!"
In Lonesome Day he proclaims, "Let kingdom come, I'm gunna find my way, after this Lonesome Day..."
In Atlantic City he tells his lover, "Now our luck may have died and our love may be cold but with you forever I'll stay..."
And in in Dancing in the Dark he's so fed up with being so fed up, "They say you gotta stay hungry, hey baby I'm just about starving tonight..."
Land of Hopes and Dreams is special because Bruce wrote this when he reunited with The E Street Band after a long hiatus. 


It is a song of Hope.

A song that embraces loss, fear; the ugliness of life.
But in classic Springsteen fashion, he lifts your eyes beyond what is seen.
He gets you to believe in something greater.
This has been his modus operandi from day one.
And for that I am grateful. 

--This is for you Christen...
This is the Land of Hopes of Dreams
Grab your ticket and your suitcase
Thunder's rolling down the tracks
You don't know where you're goin'
But you know you won't be back
Darlin' if you're weary
Lay your head upon my chest
We'll take what we can carry
And we'll leave the rest

Big Wheels rolling through fields
Where sunlight streams
Meet me in a land of hope and dreams

I will provide for you
And I'll stand by your side
You'll need a good companion for this part of the ride

Leave behind your sorrows
Let this day be the last
Tomorrow there'll be sunshine
And all this darkness past

Big wheels roll through fields
Where sunlight streams
Meet me in a land of hope and dreams

This train Carries saints and sinners
This train Carries losers and winners
This Train Carries whores and gamblers
This Train Carries lost souls
This Train Dreams will not be thwarted
This Train Faith will be rewarded
This Train Hear the steel wheels singin'
This Train Bells of freedom ringin'
This Train Carries broken-hearted
This Train Thieves and sweet souls departed
This Train Carries fools and kings

This Train...

1 comment:

Ann Mullen said...

Anthony, thanks for some uplifting on a downward day. I'm better off than before I read your post. I am so proud of you for all you have accomplished this year.--Annie