Working on a Dream


Leadership

Theology

Life


Monday, May 7, 2012

My Journey: The Beginning, not the Ending. (part 1)

Commencement: 
(n.) The day when degrees are conferred by colleges and universities upon students and others.
(n.) The first existence of anything; act or fact of commencing; rise; origin; beginning; start.


I learned something interesting the other day while sitting at my commencement ceremony at Geneva College.  The term commencement actually has two meanings: the first meaning is familiar to anyone that has graduated from high school or received their Ph.D.   It is the day that you gather with your fellow classmates to receive your degree.  The second, and less popular meaning is,"to start something." 

I mention this because I find it ironical that we title the end of something like graduation with a term that actually means to begin something.  I am starting to wonder who was responsible for this universal mishap?  Who is the one that decided to call the ending of something the beginning?  I mean when you start a race you always run to the finish line ... right

--Well, maybe there is something deeper going on here.

Commencement always gets tagged at the end of ones graduation because it signifies not the ending of something rather the beginning.   Sadly, most of us associate commencement with the conclusion of a journey rather than the start of one. However, this is precisely what is meant by declaring the finalization of your college experience as your commencement. 

The wise person knows that their time spent studying was not just to reach the graduation ceremony, rather it was to prepare them for a lifelong journey.  I tell people that their graduation from higher education is not the closing of a book; it is the turning from one chapter to another in the same book.   

The point in all of this is that you are venturing to new endeavors & new beginnings!  All the greats have understood this concept from Henry David Thoreau when he said, "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined" to Ray Kroc that wisely stated"When you're green, your growing. When you're ripe, you rot.”

Graduates:
-Realize that your life is really just about to begin. 
-Never stop learning, never stop persevering.  
-Yesterday was to prepare you for tomorrow. 

Anthony J. Kladitis

Gearing up at home for my big day!
"...I really don't want to mess up the hair today..."
Ben and I.  We hit it off from day one.
Oh No!  There are 4 of me!!
Moments before I get into my garb.

My wife Christen is proud of her man!
Don't worry, no matter how many degrees this guy gets, the proudest day of my life will always be the day I married my wife.  Nothing even comes close...

It all started with supportive parents many years ago that believed in me and my dreams.
I figured since I paid for this I might as well get as much use out of it as possible.
Me and my best friend! 
Charlie helped me study many many nights and kept me motivated by his endearing chants.   


Right in front of Geneva's Motto: "For Christ & Country"



Right in front of the library!
This is one of the aspects that I will miss the most...Books, Books, BOOKS!!

1 comment:

Cathy Miller said...

Congratulations on your accomplishment and your commencement. :-)