Working on a Dream


Leadership

Theology

Life


Monday, April 18, 2011

$-Advice that will save you Millions-$

One day in the middle of some class, my slick haired scrawny teacher broke through the thick barrier of my brain and said something that will stick with me for the rest of my life.
Did I ever tell you about the time I paid attention in High School?







He was discussing money and how our country overspends, our families all overspend, and how I buy too many Twinkies with my lunch money.  And then he slathers the class with this statement:

*When it comes to Money,
Follow the 11th Commandment:
-THOU shall not spendeth more than thy maketh-

I have to be honest here, and when I say that I am beyond fortunate that my wife and I share the same ideals , it is the understatement of the century. 

I cannot tell you how many times I see families torn apart because of money issues. 
-Guys like there expensive toys
-Gals like there expensive spa days

Time to be honest again, I feel guilty when I order something from a fast food restaurant that DOES not come directly from the 1 dollar menu. 
-All of this to say, that if you think that the title of this blog was an understatement, that in fact this statement could not save you a bundle of money --then you are wrong.
-I dare you to take a quick inventory of the unnecessary things you buy. Don't cheat!!

Look, I have been rolling around in a 97 Buick LeSabre that looks more like an old Viking Boat than a car.  But guess what?  That saves me a car payment every month. 
The Quick Math:  Average Car payment (monthly) = 300.00
Average Car payment 300.00 X 12 months = $3, 600. 
= 3,600 that I keep in my pocket. 

I'll take the embarrassment as people stare at me when I drive by...because I always think of those same cool people at the of the month getting out their checkbook and that throbbing pain that goes along with it.

Don't get me wrong, I like nice things as much as the anyone else, and I am sure that in life you cannot always live by the 11th Commandment, so use it as a general rule. 

Take the above advice. 
Follow the 11th Commandment.
If this principal would be taken to heart, most people would be a lot better off. 

What about you?
Do you have any guides that help you save money that you would be willing to share?

*Maybe our government should stop by working on a dream and get some lessons too.  Anyone want to forward this to the White House? 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ANTHONY___Great, Thank you for sharing THE TRUTH! d.m.

Anthony K said...

Thanks for the feedback. So many people just want to spend spend spend. They think that is what life is all about...

My dad used to say to me, "Son in life you have the 3 S's"
1. Suffer
2. Save
3. Sucess.

sadly, People today do not adhere to that kind of advice...

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%. After paying off debt, I have learned to live by this also! We may not have everything we want, but we do have what we need!